19 days remaining in the “Change One Thing" challenge
Submitted by Linda Rankin, Coordinator, Health Promotion & Psychological Safety, OH&S
You will have seen the “Change One Thing Challenge (for your health and wellness)” posters around Providence sites. October is Healthy Workplace Month in Canada and a great time to make self-care a priority, by making one small change to your workday, which will benefit your health and wellness.
Are you telling yourself you don’t have time, that there isn’t anything you have to change or maybe you can’t decide what to change? My suggestion is to keep the change simple and remember, changing one thing benefits you and contributes to a healthier, happier workplace!
Here are 10 easy changes to apply during your workday which will benefit your health and wellness:
- 20/20/20 rule-get up from your desk, every 20 minutes for 20 seconds and walk 20 feet.
- Can’t quite manage the 20/20/20 rule? How about getting up every hour --- change the habit of sitting for hours at a time.
- Stand-up when taking phone calls if you have a sedentary job or sit if you’re on your feet most of the day.
- On your feet for most of the day? Use the 30/30 rule-get off your feet every 30 minutes for 30 seconds.
- Have an apple a day.
- Promise yourself you’ll take the stairs, at least one flight, every day.
- Get up and stretch (Need a “stretch it out” poster? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll send you one!)
- Take a moment for 3 minutes of mindfulness. Make your mental health a priority.
- Express gratitude --- remember, “gratitude is an attitude”-- foster it by encouraging it.
- Eat healthy snacks during your commute to and from work.
Join the “Change One Thing Challenge” during Healthy Workplace Month. Share your "Change One Thing" journey by sending a photo or note to email@example.com to be entered in the draw for Health and Wellness prizes at the end of the month.
Don’t forget to check the PHC Connect calendar for workshops and in-services happenings throughout the month of October a various Providence sites.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Get ready to drop, cover and hold on!
- Flu clinics start next week!
- Our pursuit of world class
- Five in five: What you need to know about CST this week
- Your stories. Now available on The Daily Scan
- Support Patients' and Residents' Hand Hygiene Today!
- Celebrating Mental Health & Wellness at Providence
- How Foundry is transforming health care for young people
- Diversity in Spiritual Care
- How Crosstown Clinic helped a Vancouver city council candidate get his life back
- New research and education partnership to foster innovation in Cascadia
- Interested in Knowledge Translation? Announcing the PHC/VCH KT Challenge!
- No Borders
- October's Ethics Case of the Month is here!
- October 14-20 officially declared as Health Care Security and Safety Week!
- Sharing passwords is NOT okay