5 Minute Rounds at PHC
Submitted by Sally Lee, Communications Coordinator, Communications & Public Affairs
Discover this week's Providence staff news, updates and announcements on a new PHC News segment called "5 Minute Rounds at PHC." In this new segment, you can expect to see all staff announcements, staff updates, upcoming events and more.
Interested in submitting a staff announcement?
Submit an announcement here.
1. Attend PHC's Annual Ethics Conference
Attend Providence Health Care's Annual Ethics Conference on Friday, April 26!
Join us for Providence Health Care's Annual Ethics Conference on Friday, April 26 to learn from a diverse group of speakers who will be talking about culture and ethical issues that arise in health care.
This event will explore answers to important questions such as:
What is our culture in health care? What do we mean when we use the word culture... and what else do we mean? How does culture relate to what we say, how we understand what is said, and how we act? How do we accommodate patients'/families' cultural preferences in practice and how do we balance these accommodations with other ethical principles?
This day will challenge you to think about culture in a new way and approach ethical issues that arise in health care with a different perspective.
This event is FREE for PHC Staff and Physicians ($100 for non-PHC Staff/Physicians).
This event always sells-out and there are only a few spots remaining so register soon! After the event is full, we will keep a waitlist.
To register, send your completed registration form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn more about the conference here:
- Date: Friday, April 26, 2019
- Location: J Wosk Centre for Dialogue, 580 W Hastings St. Vancouver, BC
- Website: www.providencehealthcare.org/ethics_services/health-ethics-conferences.html
- Download the application form here: http://phcnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/april_2019_registration_form.pdf
- Learn more here: http://phcnews.ca/wp-content/uploads/webform/apr_26_2019_poster_dark_orange.pdf
2. Join the discussion. Attend the 7th Biennial Spirituality Conference in May
Save the date for the Spirituality Conference happening on May 8 - 10!
We are happy to announce that registration for the upcoming Spirituality Conference on Inspiring Person-Centredness: A Call to Action in Vancouver on May 8 -- 10 is almost open!
Registration will open on Friday, February 1, 2019.
The conference is being co-hosted by Providence Health Care (as their 7th Biennial Spirituality: The Missing Ingredient in Health and Healing conference) and Trinity Western University (in their Faith and Nursing Symposium series). Discover the full list of speakers and co-chairs here.
Also, please note that the call for abstracts has been announced and the due date has been extended for this year's Spirituality Conference in Vancouver!
Interested in attending?
Learn more about the conference here.
For conference details, please visit our conference website: http://spiritualityconference.providencehealthcare.org.
3. Check out this month's vendors!
Mark your calendars!
St. Paul's Hospital's Vendor Tables are back for the month of March.
Our March 2019 vendors at St. Paul's Hospital are located just before the cafeteria entrance on Providence Level 4. On Thursdays we have great vendors coming in and selling interesting and unique gifts. A percentage of their sales are returned back to the hospital to support scholarships for our amazing volunteers and patient programs - support a great cause!
Vendor Table Dates & Names:
- Thursday, March 7th: Casual Chic Clothing
- Thursday, March 21st: Costco Memberships
- Thursday, March 28th: Safe T Brella
4. You have to taste the new dishes at St. Paul's Cafeteria!
Did you know? New menu items and meals are in at St. Paul's Cafeteria!
Balance Eatery at St. Paul’s Hospital will be launching fresh new concepts in the cafeteria at St. Paul's.
New menu features include:
- Ramen Station – choose your own toppings served with house-made broth.
- Layered – make your own yogurt bar.
- Handcrafted – artisan sandwiches, ready-to-go.
- Carving Board – daily fresh roasts, carved to order, served as a sandwich or with two other sides. (Coming in March 2019)
Check out our daily hot entrees, grab & go sandwiches, salad bar options, and more!
Chat with Melissa, the manager, or any of our staff to let us know what you think of the new food concepts.
Contact us via email: Melissa.Flores@sodexo.com
5. Hurry, used books are only $1 each!
Hurry, used books are only $1 each!
Volunteer Resources is holding a used book sale. All proceeds will help support volunteer education and training.
- When: Tuesday, March 12th from 11:00 am-1:00 pm & Wednesday, March 13th from 11:00am-1:00pm
- Where: St. Paul's Hospital - Providence 4th Floor outside the Cafeteria
Come check out our great selection of gently used hardcover books!
6. Join us for a Celebration of Life for Sister Margaret Vickers on Friday, March 15
Join us for a Celebration of Life for Sister Margaret Vickers on Friday, March 15
On February 10, 2019, Sister Margaret Vickers died peacefully surrounded by her loving family in Saint John, New Brunswick.
In 2008, she received the Honour of Canada for her lifetime service in Catholic health care as a nurse administrator and was a passionate advocate for bringing innovation to health care services and organizations, including Providence Health Care.
Sister Margaret had a special connection with Providence Health Care, especially with Brock Fahrni Care Home. During her time with us, she was a Mission Facilitator, mentor and a friend to all who knew her. Sister Margaret’s legacy with Providence Health Care can be witnessed today in the continuation of “Providence in the Park”, a program that she started with an aim to enhance the compassion that Providence Health Care holds around Social Justice.
Join us for a Celebration of Life for Sister Margaret Vickers on Friday, March 15 at 2:15 pm St. Vincent’s Brock Fahrni Chapel with a reception to follow in the Vets Lounge.
7. Shamrocks and Leprechauns at the Gift Shop! We're getting ready for St. Patrick’s Day
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day at the Gift Shop!
Shamrocks and Leprechauns -- it almost St.Patrick’s Day! Come on down to St. Paul's Hospital Gift Shop and check out the assortment of St.Patrick’s Day items and goodies. We have buttons, candy, headbands and necklaces for your celebration at the Gift Shop.
Our hours are:
- Mon – Fri, 8am – 8pm
- Sat & Sun, 12pm – 4pm
Follow us on social:
Thank you for making a difference by helping us raise funds for patient care and programs at St. Paul's Hospital!
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- You're invited - Come learn about what CST means for you!
- Researchers hopeful after second person seemingly free of HIV following bone-marrow transplant
- BC Centre on Substance Use at St. Paul’s welcomes drug implant as new therapy for opioid dependence
- Don't forget to Spring Forward on March 10!
- You're invited to a free screening of the Academy Award-nominated film End Game
- Luke Perry's death shows stroke can hit at any age
- New research could revolutionize how we treat chronic lung disease
- Last call to nominate a PHC scientist for the Research & Mission Award
- Last call for nomination to the Mission Awards & Keeping the Promise Award
- Nutrition Month is coming to St. Paul's this March!
- Exploring the link between teamwork and patient safety
- Catch the Early Bird Registration for the Geriatric Services Conference and be Entered to Win a Tablet!