A candlelight tribute to our veterans
Submitted by Paddi McGrath
On August 19th, Brock Fahrni Pavilion celebrated its ninth annual Candlelight Tribute. The date was chosen because of its proximity to VJ Day, which marked the end of WWII. Brock Fahrni war veterans also took this opportunity to thank their care staff for their kindness and devotion.
The ceremony included reading The Act of Remembrance by Jack McKelvie (Air Force), the laying of a wreath, by Phillis Smedley (Air Force), and placing candles by veterans: Louis Schmidt (Navy), George Jarrett (Army), David Dunnison (Air Force), and George Pattinson (Merchant Marines). O Canada and God Save the Queen were led by Dr. Barry Honda. Valerie Weeks (Music Therapist) accompanied the program on piano. The Last Post and Rouse were played by John Moore, Bugle Major and a Lament was played by Sgt. Chris Bronson, The New Westminster Pipe Band. The Master of Ceremonies was Joanne Henderson of the Royal Canadian Legion. Ursula Piotrowski, BF Site/Operations Leader, gave a welcoming address and Reverend Melanie Gonder-Benoit, Spiritual Health provided a blessing.
Speakers and distinguished guests included Dianne Doyle (Providence Health Care President and CEO), David Thompson (vp of Seniors Care), Marianne Dupre (Tapestry Foundation), Adrianne Alford Burt (Veterans Affairs), and Christopher de Debono, (vp of Mission, Ethics and Spirituality). Dianne Doyle spoke of the histories of the Tribute and Brock Fahrni, and expressed our gratitude for the generosity of Veterans Affairs, The Royal Canadian Legion and the Tapestry Foundation. She closed her remarks by speaking of our enormous gratitude to the brave men and women who are our war veterans.
After the Candlelight Tribute, there was a reception for all Brock Fahrni residents, families, guests, staff and volunteers, with singing of many popular wartime songs by David Dunnison, accompanied by Valerie Weeks on piano.
Thanks for the great team work to all Brock Fahrni staff and volunteers.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- ASP Your App
- Help us support over 250 individuals in need this September
- VIDEO: Clinicians test-drive an early prototype of new clinical information system
- Calling All Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and Midwives; Health Information Management Needs Your Input
- Quality Forum 2017 - Call for Abstracts Closes Tomorrow!
- Only two weeks to go! Get your tickets today for this Brilliant event
- Patients to exhibit their handiwork on September 10
- St. Paul’s transplant recipient running Yukon road race to raise funds and awareness of Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Register now for the 13th Annual Leadership Program for Physicians and Leaders in LTC
- September, a Good Time to Revisit New Year's Resolutions
- $1,000+ up for grabs every two weeks!
- Today is World Physical Therapy Day!
- World Sepsis Day - September 13
- PHC to Kick Off with Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- It’s not too late to drive with the top down!
- Care Connection for September is online!