Carrying on our 20 year tradition of helping our neighbours with Providence in the Park!
Submitted by Mission, People & Ethics, Providence Health Care
The Providence Mission Team at Providence Health Care (PHC) invites you to participate in Providence in the Park. Our community outreach event for the Downtown Eastside will take place on Saturday, April 25th from 10 am to 1pm. The event will take place on Jackson Avenue, between East Cordova and Powell Street, adjacent to Oppenheimer Park for another season.
In the tradition of this bi-annual event, over 50 staff, physicians and volunteers from across PHC will gather at 200 Jackson Avenue to distribute much-needed clothing, blankets, sleeping bags, and personal care kits. We will also provide eyewear, haircuts and a healthy bagged lunch to over 300 people residing in the Downtown Eastside.
We would love to have you join us for this community outreach event which we hope helps empower each of us to live Providence’s mission, vision and values as well as use it as a springboard to give back to the communities we serve.
A one-hour Volunteer Orientation session will be provided on Wednesday, April 22 at SPH, 2nd floor, Burrard, room 271 at 10 am and again at 5 pm for all confirmed volunteers.
For more information and to sign-up to volunteer for this event, please contact Lucy Luongo at 604-321-2661 ext. 22363 or LLuongo@providencehealth.bc.ca.
Can’t attend to help volunteer?
Send in your donations instead! For April’s Community Outreach Event, we need donations of the following:
- new socks
- new underwear
- personal care items (like travel size shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, tooth brushes, bandages, lip balm, sun screen, combs, etc.)
- rain wear
- comfortable walking shoes
- warm blankets
- sleeping bags
- recyclable shopping bags
So take a moment to clean out your closet for this worthy cause. All sizes of men’s and women’s clothing are needed.
Please bring your donations to the designated areas:
- St. Paul’s Hospital – Media Services 7:30 – 12 noon & 1 – 4 pm (Mon. thru Fri. only) and Room 4000, Providence Level 4, outside the Cafeteria, 9 am – 4 pm (Mon thru Fri only).
- Hornby – 4th floor staff lunchroom
- Mount St. Joseph – Foundation Office, 8:30 – 5:00 (Mon. thru Fri.) & Cafeteria,
- Youville – Lobby, Main Entrance
- Holy Family – Lobby, Main Entrance plus Nursing Station 2 & Neighborhood 3
- Brock Fahrni – Main Reception & Nursing Stations
- St. Vincent’s Langara – Lobby, Main Entrance
Donation deadline is Wednesday, April 22,
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Canada’s Best: Providence receives national employer awards
- From The Daily Scan: Love is in the air at Mount Saint Joseph Residence
- From The Daily Scan: Could this important change improve care for women with suspected heart disease?
- From The Daily Scan: A day in the life of a general surgeon, Dr. Tracy Scott
- The Transit Incentive Program for PHC employees is back!
- Join us for an educational hand hygiene session at St. Paul's Hospital
- Learn about the psychosocial factors – protection of physical safety
- 17th Annual Geriatric Services Conference – A COVID-19 Update for Conference Participants
- How well can you spot a phishing attack at home or at work?
- The March issue of Care Connection is now online
- 5 Minute Rounds at PHC
- COVID-19 Update - March 12, 2020