Change One Thing (for your health & wellness while at work) challenge during Healthy Workplace Month in October!
Submitted by Linda Rankin, coordinator, health promotion & psychological safety, OH&S
Change is in the air. The leaves are changing, the weather is changing and for those working at SPH, MSJ and Holy Family Hospital, on November 16, change comes with the CST implementation.
Change can be stressful but being prepared with strategies to manage how you’re feeling during the change, can help make the transition easier. This year the OH&S Change One Thing (for your health and wellness while at work) Challenge, during Healthy Workplace Month (October 1-31), would like you to share one of your stress busting strategies or share one change you will make during October, that will benefit your health and wellness.
Send your stress busting strategies or share what One Thing you will Change during Healthy Workplace Month (October 1-31), to firstname.lastname@example.org to be entered in the draw for a beautiful gift basket to be drawn on November 1. Strategies or changes can be big or small and will be shared in the November 7th PHC News edition along with the winner of the gift basket. Some stress relief suggestions:
- Daily walk on your break
- 3 minute mindfulness practice
- Spend time laughing with colleagues
- Take your break
If you’re looking to Change One Thing (for your health and wellness while at work) remember changing habits isn’t easy. Three strategies which can help are:
- Reminder- Until the one thing you changed, during Healthy Workplace Month, becomes a habit, what cue initiates the new behaviour? Is it scheduling an appointment in your calendar, a piece of string on your finger or maybe you and a colleague take turns reminding each other?
- Routine-Your chosen cue prompts you into action. No procrastination…you are doing this for your health and wellness!
- Reward-Acknowledge the benefit you gained by doing this new habit. Pat yourself on the back. A positive reward makes you want to repeat the routine the next time you are reminded.
Join the OH&S “Change One Thing Challenge" (for your health and wellness while at work) during Canada’s Healthy Workplace Month and share your stress busting strategies &/or one change you will make to your work day which will benefit your health and wellness while at work.
Watch for the posters coming soon to all sites!
If you’re feeling that you need to talk with someone, EFAP can be reached at www.efap.ca, 604 872-4929, you can speak with your health care provider and/or find resources on the staff mental health and wellness toolkit page.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Coming soon! Pre-booking by email for shifts up to 16 weeks in advance means more time and less stress for staff
- Update on CST at PHC
- Special Update on the New St. Paul's
- Come meet the PHC Research Institute
- From The Daily Scan: First-of-its-kind guideline sets out best practices for delivering injectable opioid agonist treatment
- We hope this never happens, but we have to be prepared for it
- 5 Minute Rounds at PHC
- ICYMI: vacation planning opens on Monday, Sept. 30!
- Lights of Hope kicks off with cookies!
- From The Daily Scan: What is the inner-ear disorder that sent Andrew Weaver to the hospital?
- From The Daily Scan: St. Paul’s physician and researcher wins Medical Council of Canada
- A message from Green + Leaders
- Dear EFAP: I'm a perfectionist and it's getting in the way of my work-life balance
- Warm Buddies are back at the Gift Shop!