Congratulations to the winners of the 2018 Unsung Hero Awards!
Submitted by Communications and Public Affairs
The Heart Centre announced the recipients of its 2018 Unsung Hero Awards on the morning of February 22 in the Cullen Lecture Theatre at St. Paul's Hospital.
The Heart Centre is world-renowned for its excellent cardiac care, only made possible by a dedicated team of physicians, caregivers and staff. But there are a few who stand out, and since 2013, they have been honoured through the annual Heart Centre Unsung Hero Awards. These individuals perform their work by going above and beyond the call of duty to improve patient care, outcomes or care delivery.
Check out the videos below to learn more about each of this year's winner.
The 2018 PHC Heart Centre Unsung Hero Award Recipients:
Ellen Bjornson, Exercise Leader, Healthy Heart Program
Ellen's No. 1 job is to make people feel confident and reassured when they first come in because it could be their first time in a gym setting. From there, she and her team inspire patients to carry on with their exercise plans outside of the program.
Kelly Fernandez, Unit Clerk, CICU
Kelly enjoys working closely with her colleagues in their contained unit. She is often the first contact for patients' families. Her co-workers call her "warm" and "welcoming" and "quick on her feet." She's the kind of person you want on your team.
Margaret Grzesiak, Clerk, Pacemaker Clinic
Margaret is "the heart and the hub" of the pacemaker clinic. She knows patients by name and goes above and beyond to ensure patients are getting the best care possible. Her positive attitude rubs off on everyone around her.
Stephanie Hsieh, Pharmacist, Atrial Fibrillation Clinic
Stephanie ensures patients are on optical medication therapy. She is also involved with research projects to improve patient care and she teaches too. She is known as the "Steve Nash of pharmacy" because she goes about being excellent quietly.
The PHC Heart Centre Unsung Hero Awards are funded by a generous anonymous donor to the St. Paul’s Foundation. Each recipient receives $1,000 and the commemorative plaque on 5 C/D will be updated with this year’s winners.
Congratulations to all the 2018 nominees and recipients!
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Pink Shirt Day - Next Week!
- After heart surgery, Rick Moyneur is enjoying life one day at a time
- Holy Family Hospital Residence rings in the Lunar New Year with luck, laughs and dumplings
- Are you looking to make a lasting positive change in your work environment? Join the QI Challenge!
- Toddlers should tune out
- Don't be stressed about your stress test!
- People Helping People
- Dear EFAP: My old college flame recently moved to town
- Your Health on the Go: Think Digital
- Last chance to recognize a PHC scientist for their outstanding research
- Nomination deadline for Professional Practice Awards extended to April 9
- Nominate early for chance to win two tickets and one night at the Fairmont Waterfront!
- Writing winning (hopefully!) award applications
- Just how bad is all that sugar for your heart?
- Gender-based violence – A free, online course for health sector workers
- Templeton Stroke Recovery Branch helps outpatients in the community
- March vendor tables announced
- Last chance to "spread some love" for a chance to win a $25 gift card!