Exploring PHC's nursing leadership paths
Submitted by Aggie Black, Director, Health Services & Clinical Research and Knowledge Translation, Professional Practice and Nursing
It’s Nursing Week, and we celebrate all nurses at PHC -- those at the point of care and those in leadership roles. There are many ways for nurses at PHC to grow as leaders, from Nurse Educator or Clinical Nurse Leader to Clinical Nurse Specialist, Patient Care Manager and beyond! If you are a nurse who’s interested in supporting your colleagues in best practice, having an impact on “bigger picture” issues, and advocating for excellence in clinical care, consider a leadership role.
You can train for the role by joining your Nursing Practice Council, tackling a QI or research project, attending graduate school and/or job-shadowing. The Clinical Leadership poster illustrates some of the attributes nurses need, and pathways nurses can follow to explore leadership roles.
PHC has a variety of programs and funds to support nurses seeking leadership opportunities, including the Educator Pathway, the Practice-Based Research Challenge, the QI Challenge, and bursaries to fund continuing education and professional development. PHC also offers support for nurses to participate in specialty education programs, including Critical Care, Emergency, Neonatal Care, Perinatal Care and Nephrology. Enrollment in the specialty education programs is coordinated by the Professional Practice Office in collaboration with the specialty areas.
Happy Nursing Week to all our wonderful, committed, compassionate nursing staff!
Check out the Professional Practice website for more information.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Japanese couple celebrates Mother's Day with the birth of their "little cherry blossom" at St. Paul's new maternity clinic
- We're celebrating National Nursing Week - #YESThisIsNursing
- The unveiling of the Spiritual Journey of the Shaman painting
- New site at St. Paul's helps save lives
- How a lost brooch became the final piece to a touching wedding blessing in the CICU
- "Keeping the Light Shining" - Capstone Conference held at Vandusen's Floral Hall
- Eye clinic provides life changing care in the Downtown East Side
- Dr. Herbert Fitterman: an eye on the future
- PHC researchers funded in Health Professional-Investigator competition
- Enter the #GetLoud contest - support the conversation about mental health
- The Foundry shares real stories from young adults about mental health
- How communicatively accessible are your health care services?
- Sign up today for the commuter challenge!
- Don't forget to register for Research Day
- Apply for the Enhanced Patient Care Grant before May 31
- Care Connection for May is now online
- Mother's Day is this Sunday, May 13
- SPH Cafeteria Menu May 14 - 20
- Do not recycle these common plastic recycling contaminants