Get ready for patient safety week!
Submitted by PHC Quality & Safety
Next week -- October 24 to 28 -- is Patient Safety Week in Canada.
Quality and Safety is one of PHC's strategic directions, and as a leader in compassionate, patient and family centred care, continuously improving the safety and quality of care provided so that patients and residents achieve the best possible health outcomes is a top priority.
Why is patient safety important?
- An estimated 30,000 patients die from preventable incidences or medical errors each year.
- An estimated 84,000 seniors are hospitalized each year due to a fall.
- An estimated 200,000 patients will get an infection each year while in a hospital.
- The Canadian Adverse Events Study (Baker et al 2004) found drug or fluid-related events were the second most common type of adverse event in Canadian hospitals, accounting for 23.6% of the total. The cost attributed to adverse drug events has been reported to be $4,028 per event (Etchells et al 2012.)
- Researchers have calculated an estimated economic burden of preventable patient safety incidents in acute care in Canada for 2009 - 2010 to be $396,633,936 ($397 million). This estimate is only a small portion of the estimated entire cost of harmful incidents, and it does not include the indirect costs of care after hospital discharge, or societal costs of illness, such as loss of functional status or occupational productivity.
Things to do to prep for Patient Safety Week
- Read up on Canadian Patient Safety Institute’s (CPSI) patient stories
- Read the latest issue of CPSI’s Hands in Healthcare newsletter
- Take an interactive Patient Safety Online Quiz to test your knowledge about safe care:
- Join the #AskTalkListen Twitter Talk Event on Thursday, October 28, at 9 a.m.
- Stay tuned to this space! We’ll be sharing our own patient safety and quality photos, videos and staff stories in PHC News next week.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Check-in to Win
- Providence Health Care and partners team up with China’s BGI to Accelerate Precision Medicine
- Dr. Rachelle Bernacki to host special rounds on Serious Illness Care Conversations
- VIDEO: Physicians and clinicians provide input on new clinical information system
- Measuring the effectiveness of Patient and Family Centred Care at Providence
- How much do you know about the procedures performed at MSJ's Providence Breast Centre?
- The results of the Staff Sick Time Survey are in!
- Volunteer Resources World Food Day Initiative 2016
- It’s Autumn Bike to Work Week next week (October 24 to 30), and we want to see you on your bike!
- Tips For Making New Habits Stick
- Leadership Program for Physicians and Leaders in Long Term Care - early bird pricing ends soon!
- HEARR Webinar - Finding Compassionate Care in the Face of Violence: Caring for Patients who Cause us Harm
- Looking for a winner every two weeks!