Give back to Mount Saint Joseph Hospital, support the Scotiabank Feast of Fortune
Submitted by Sonia Woodward, Communications Officer, St. Paul's Foundation
In the 1920s, Vancouver’s Chinese residents faced a crisis. They weren’t getting the health care they needed and more than 1,500 people had died as a result. Responding to an urgent appeal for help, a small group of nuns made their way from Montreal to open a clinic and four-bed infirmary in a little house on Keefer Street, caring for the neighbourhood’s sick and impoverished residents.
But as the community grew, so did the need for a proper hospital. Sister Teresa Fung travelled across the Pacific Northwest visiting Chinese workers to ask for their support. Together, they raised one third of the cost and in 1946 Mount Saint Joseph Hospital (MSJ) opened its doors.
Fast forward to 2008, the Chinese community came together once again in support of MSJ at the very first Scotiabank Feast of Fortune. In the spirit of Sister Fung, they launched a fundraising initiative to ensure the highest level of care and compassion for each and every patient. Today, we continue to be inspired by Sister Fung and by the generosity of those who have supported MSJ since the beginning.
Without your support, our patients and residents would not get the critical and urgent care they require. That’s why funds raised at this year’s Scotiabank Feast of Fortune will go wherever the need is greatest: cardiology, emergency, surgery, imaging, seniors care, and more.
Will you support MSJ?
There are still a few tickets left for Feast of Fortune!
Email email@example.com to purchase.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Lights of Hope raises more than $3.2 Million for Providence Health Care’s greatest needs
- The Views at St. Joseph’s joins Providence family
- Team of St. Paul’s Hospital residents named Simulation Olympiad champions
- Brace yourself: It's awards season
- "But she's certified!" - Don't miss this week's Ethics Case of the Month
- 5 Minute Rounds at PHC
- Shining a light on Mount Saint Joseph's 1 South Team
- You could win $2019 -- Start by setting realistic goals that are achievable, reasonable and long term
- How to reset your network password with your mobile device
- This email advertises good deals. Is it real -- or is it malicious?