The healing power of a pup
Submitted by St. Paul's Foundation
It is an ancient scientific law based on repeated experimentation and observation: If you look at a dog long enough, eventually you will smile.
It is this magical and timeless canine-human dynamic that is the foundation of pet therapy.
That dogs brings happiness, warmth and security in humans dates back to hunter-gatherer societies, where the relaxed canine was a sign to our cave-dwelling ancestors that all was safe and sound.
Theories attribute our enduring love and respect for dogs to the fact that they helped our species survive. This is not hard to imagine when, in centuries past, you wouldn’t know what was going to step out of those woods next. You can see the good sense in having a dog around.
Since then, little has changed. Dogs still make us feel safe and secure, warm and happy. And in a hospital setting, it has been shown that dogs can improve a patient’s “social, emotional, or cognitive functioning.”
The proof is in the pudding, or rather, the kibbles. The prevalence of animal assisted therapy programs in hospitals worldwide speaks to the fact that there are significant benefits for patients.
To read more, click here!
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Pharmacists Enhancing Patient Care
- We asked PHC staff: What does patient and family centred care look like to you?
- Have you watched PHC's new patient and family centred care videos?
- Mark Your Calendars!
- 5 in 5: Top Questions Answered
- I am alive because of you
- Meet the Special Hematology team
- Join us for Interdisciplinary Education: Patient and Family Centred Care
- Trauma Distinction status awarded to PHC
- UpnGo with ParticipACTION pilot project at the Residential Sites
- Kidney transplant recipient and donor to run Klondike Road Relay
- Mental Health Week May 2-8
- Honoria Conway Fashion Show
- National Immunization Awareness week at PHC
- The Most Reverend J. Michael Miller to celebrate Mass and tour St. Paul's Hospital
- Your Chance to Win Every Two Weeks
- Bike to Work Week is only a month away. Join a team and win prizes!
- Sodexo Retail Customer Preference Survey
- Win this car and support seniors’ care!
- May 1st to 7th is Emergency Preparedness Week!
- Meet the SPH vendors for May!
- Come Buy Your Mother's Day Gifts at SPH Gift Shop!