HLI summer program prepares students for careers in science
Submitted by Vivienne Chan, Science and Grant Writer, Centre for Heart Lung Innovation
In August, the Centre for Heart Lung Innovation (HLI) hosted its annual Summer Student Research Day (SSRD) event at St. Paul’s Hospital, where summer students – mostly undergraduates and a few high school students – have the opportunity to present their research findings to their peers and other researchers in the Centre. For many students, the summer program is an invaluable opportunity to work alongside experts in heart and lung research in addressing the most important current health-related topics. Students are also able to gain practical experience, learning laboratory techniques and developing critical thinking skills that will be essential for pursuing future careers in science.
This year, a total of 16 students gave oral presentations in three categories: heart, lung, and innovation. An additional 15 students presented posters on their research. Topics for presentations ranged from basic science research on asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), to clinical studies on heart disease. At the end of the day, several awards were presented to the following students, as judged by a panel of of senior investigators at the HLI:
- Antyrah de Guzman (Dr. Bruce McManus Award for Top Heart Oral Presentation)
Supervisor: Dr. Keith Walley and Dr. Alex Leung
“Modulation of the Vascular Endothelial Inflammatory Response by Proprotein Convertase Subtilisin-Kexin Type 9 (PSK9)”
- Aileen Hsieh (Dr. Bruce McManus Award for Top Lung Oral Presentation)
Supervisor: Dr. Tillie Hackett
“Characterizing Pathological Changes of the Peripheral Airways in Mild/Moderate COPD”
- Sophie Guo (Dr. Bruce McManus Award for Top Innovation Oral Presentation)
Supervisor: Dr. Liam Brunham
“Using Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Derived Cardiomyocytes to Model Doxorubicin Induced Cardiotoxicity”
- Katrin Besler (Dr. Bruce McManus Award for Best Poster)
Supervisor: Dr. Gordon Francis
“The Role of Exogenous Lysosomal Acid Lipase in Enhancing Cholesterol Removal from Human and Mouse Smooth Muscle and Macrophage Foam Cells”
- Nima Toussi (2018 Peter D Paré Science Scholarship)
Supervisor: Dr. Chun Seow and Dr. Lu Wang
“Testing of a Structure Model for Smooth Muscle Contractile Unit”
The 2018 annual SSRD was once again a huge success, thanks to these generous sponsors: St. Paul’s Foundation, Providence Health Care Research Institute, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research, and the HLI. We look forward to hosting this event again next year!
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Vacation planning for 2019 begins in October – here’s what you need to know
- Teams and individuals walk for strength, for health, and for life
- Get ready, healthy workplace month is starting on October 1!
- Interested in Knowledge Translation? Announcing the PHC/VCH KT Challenge!