Music To Everyone's Ears
Submitted by PHC Music Therapy
Many thanks to all who came by the Music Therapy open house for coffee and snacks, and to try out a few instruments!
The event was timed with Music Therapy Awareness Month, and also doubled as a celebration of the return of music therapy to the St. Paul’s Inpatient Mental Health Program after a long absence. We hope the information provided will help shed some light on the impact music therapy can have for the patients of our hospital.
Patients of the Mental Health Program have connected positively to music therapy, sharing some of the following feelings about their experience:
- “When making music and singing, I don’t hear the negative voices.”
- “For an hour of our music group, I didn’t feel the pain.”
- “Small musical tasks help me to concentrate.”
- “It’s easier to focus on singing than all of the thoughts going around in my head.”
- “In music group, I feel better after I’m able to release my emotions – tears of happiness and sadness.”
Starting in January 2016, the Mental Health Program has also expanded music therapy to include a pilot program in the Eating Disorders Program until March 30, 2016.
Congratulations to our prize winners, whose names were entered into a random draw for successfully completing our music therapy quiz.
- Ukulele Package, Tom Lee Music: Fariba, SDC (Surgical Day Care)
- Micro Cube GX amplifier, Roland Canada: Michelle, 10C
Lastly, we would like to extend a heartfelt thankful to the team who supported this event:
- Jennifer Duff, Director of Mental Health
- Blaine Bray, Operations Leader of Mental Health
- Peter Keyes, administrative assistant, Mental Health
- Jessica Hainstock, communications
- Danilyn Graham, graphic design
- Providence’s Music Therapists, led by Leah Rosling, Professional Practice Leader for Music Therapy
- Capilano University Students and Interns
- Roland Canada
- Tom Lee Music
- Music Therapy Association of BC (MTABC)
- Music Heals
Caption: The Music Therapy team, with support from Jen Duff, director, Mental Health, lead the ELF group in a drumming circle for their opening Reflection on March 11. The drumming experience was well received by all in attendance, and an energizing way to start the day!
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Realizing the value of your HIPs
- Last Call for Mission Award Nominations - Deadline Thursday, March 24, 2016
- Long Service Recognition schedule of events has been posted – don’t forget to RSVP!
- The survey is coming! The survey is coming!
- Happy Dietitians Day!
- HSSBC Services Moving to New Organization
- Winners who weighed in!
- Tasting a renal diet on World Kidney Day
- Kevin Scott: PHC GreenCare Commuter of the Year
- Mindfulness Practice at St. Paul's Hospital
- Roman Catholic Easter Services Schedule
- St. Paul’s Foundation appoints Chief Development Officer
- Women’s Health Symposium - 2016
- Book an appointment to give life
- #BeSeeninDarkCoats Fashion Show
- Hop, hop, hop into St Paul's Gift Shop for all your Easter goodies!