PHC Research Challenge project wins an award for excellence in collaboration!
Submitted by Reprinted from the Care Connection
(left to right) Franca Gagliardi, BD Clinical Specialist, Lab; Miki Mousouliotis; Susan Csatari, BD Clinical Consultant, Nursing; Baljit; Janie; Sarah Ashton, BD Corporate Account Director; Joe Giannini
Janie Venis, RN in the St Paul’s ICU, and Baljit Singh, PH Lab Quality lead (at the time of the award), were recently awarded the BD-sponsored CLMA (Clinical Lab Management Association) Preanalytical Excellence Award for their ICU/Lab "CollaborACTION" project.
This award recognizes laboratory professionals within leading health care organizations who are committed to patient safety and quality improvement through leadership, best practices, innovation, and change management expertise.
Significantly, this is the first time the award has gone to a nursing professional. The project was conceived and initiated by Janie, who led a PHC Practice-based Research Challenge project on improvement in blood sampling practices in the ICU, and continued her efforts with the CollaborACTION project, making the project truly a Lab/Nursing collaboration.
Through this collaboration Janie and Baljit developed a deeper understanding of each discipline’s goals and challenges with an end goal of improving communication. Their project led to improved patient safety through joint education on preanalytical quality criteria such as patient identification, labelling at the bedside, order of draw, and blood culture procedures. Additionally, they created a plan to sustain the improvements including implementing a Lab-ICU exchange program, frequent communications about changes in laboratory and nursing procedures, and continued collaborative quality improvement initiatives.
Janie engaged BD Clinical Support to deliver some of the education, and the BD team were extremely impressed by the program and outcomes, and nominated Janie and Baljit for the award. Janie, Baljit and the nurses in the ICU were celebrated at a small ceremony on December 6, 2016.
Congratulations to Janie and Baljit!
Printed with the permission of Care Connection; many thanks for the generous content sharing!
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Be part of the first-ever PHC Quality Improvement Challenge!
- St. Michael’s Centre intention to join Providence Health Care
- Better together? We think so.
- Registration is open for Quality Forum 2017!
- Can we talk?
- Celebrating 10 years of Good Fortune
- Get to know your Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Call for donations!
- St. Paul’s Healthy Heart Program set to study the effects of diet/exercise on plaque in coronary arteries
- Still coffee, still random
- Used book sale! All books $1
- Care Connection for January now online!
- January HEARR Webinar - Informatics Basics - The e-Health Record is Coming ... Are You Ready?
- Bliss. Love. Shine. Hugs.