St. Paul’s Healthy Heart team leading workplace wellness day on September 26
Submitted by Veronica de Jong, Research Manager, CoHeaRT, Healthy Heart
On Wednesday, September 26, Diabetes Canada is challenging BC's workforce to get active by taking part in Free to Move - a workplace wellness day encouraging employees from all industries put their health first. Within St. Paul’s Hospital, the initiative is being led by chronic disease researchers at the Healthy Heart Department who study the ill effects of sedentary lifestyles.
Our increasingly sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy habits are raising our risk of developing type 2 diabetes. The statistics for type 2 diabetes are staggering, with one in three of us expected to be diagnosed in our lifetime. We are creating a positive change and making workplace wellness a top priority.
We encourage you to join us by setting up a team within your own department or work group. You are also welcome to join our team by clicking JOIN TEAM* on our Healthy Heart & Friends team page. *works best in Chrome or updated web browsers
The $10 donation for registration gets you access to a host of Perks Partners who are offering complimentary or discounted access to those wearing campaign wristbands. Take a free class at Lagree West, Semperviva Yoga, yyoga or SoulCycle and then refuel with a healthy snack from Field & Social, The Juice Truck and many more Perks locations.
You can also drop by the SPH cafeteria entrance on September 17th from 10AM-3PM and we will be there to answer any questions and set individuals or teams up with their bracelets!
Show your support for the 11 million Canadians living with diabetes or prediabetes by taking part. Funds raised allow Diabetes Canada to continue to transform diabetes awareness, prevention and care for millions of Canadians.
For further information: visit diabetes.ca/FreetoMove or contact Kirstie McRae, Coordinator, Community Partnerships at 604-732-2311.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Carrying On Our Tradition of Helping Our Neighbors of the Downtown Eastside
- News from the CEO
- Celebrating Our Legacy
- Ethics Case of the Month returns with "Just sign here: When patients leave against medical advice (AMA)
- ‘It’s tough for heart failure patients to go home’: TEC4Home improves patient care, expands clinical trials
- Our mission: To boldly go where no hospital has gone before
- September 13 is World Sepsis Day
- Not sure what SafeNet is or why you keep hearing about it?
- Overdose Outreach Team expands
- World Suicide Prevention Day
- Leading MD asks: Why shouldn’t we just stay on paper?
- Researchers find way to date ‘hibernating’ HIV strains
- Join us for the next Talks + Tables event!
- New Regional Parenteral Drug Therapy Manual (PDTM)
- OPTIMA study compares two treatment options for prescription opioid use disorder
- Thank you for your feedback! And the last winner is.....