Who’s in your community?
Submitted by Wallace Robinson, leader, Advance Care Planning
Everyone has a community – the people we help, and the people we depend on for help. But if you became ill and couldn’t speak for yourself, would your community know your wishes? Do they know who would speak for you? April 16th, National Advance Care Planning Day, is the perfect time to think about these things.
Advance care planning is thinking about your wishes for future care and talking about them with your Substitute Decision Maker, someone who will speak for you and make medical decisions if you can’t speak for yourself. It’s also important to share your wishes with others who can support your Substitute Decision Maker, such as family members and friends. Research shows that advance care planning significantly reduces stress and anxiety for those who are making medical decisions for others.
Here at Providence Health Care, we’ve recently made several changes to our Options for Care and Advance Care Planning procedures to help facilitate advance care planning/serious illness conversations with patients, residents and clients, and to support better communication about their goals, fears and preferences for care within Providence. Knowing the wishes of the people we care for means that their preferences about how they want to be treated govern everything we do. Read more about these updates here.
Join the Advance Care Planning Thunderclap
On April 16th, Providence will be participating in a National Advance Care Planning Thunderclap campaign. A Thunderclap is similar to a social media flash mob; everyone who signs up to be part of the movement will have one unified message posted on their account at the exact same time, which amplifies the message.
Add your voice. Learn about the Advance Care Planning Day Thunderclap and sign up today at: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/52018-who-s-in-your-community
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Get to know our Adult Hemophilia Program team!
- Dianne Doyle Retirement Plans
- Incoming New PHC Chair
- Are you a change maker, innovator or an intrapreneur?
- The QI Challenge begins!
- Changes to building access: St. Paul’s Hospital
- You're invited: Printing the Future of Therapeutics in 3D - Open Session
- Training Opportunity: Health Emergency Operations Centre
- Donation deadline for Providence in the Park is April 26
- April HEARR Webinar: Effect of a Dietary Portfolio on Cardiovascular Disease
- Care Connection for April is now available
- 6th Biennial Spirituality Conference to explore the connection between Hospitality and Health Care
- Why Volunteering Inspires Me
- Blow bubbles not smoke - no smoke is good smoke for lung health
- Do you take transit? Check out the service changes on several bus routes beginning April 24
- Happy Easter from St. Paul’s Hospital Gift Shop!