World Suicide Prevention Day
Submitted by Michelle Carter and Angela Russolillo, via Care Connection, clinical nurse specialists, Mental Health Program
The recent deaths by suicide of designer Kate Spade and chef Anthony Bourdain have thrust suicide into the headlines. Their tragic deaths provide an opportunity to increase awareness and promote societal change about suicide and self-harm.
In Canada, an average of 10 people die by suicide each day.
Suicide accounts for 4000 deaths each year representing the 9th leading cause of death in the country.
A comprehensive public health approach is crucial to address the wide range of factors that can contribute to suicide. It is important to tackle multiple determinants at the same time if we are to make a difference.
Better access to high quality mental health services as part of stronger health-care systems, promoting safe environments, reducing stigma, developing coping and resilience skills, and reducing socioeconomic inequalities and stressors more broadly – all of these interventions are needed.
Monday, September 10 is World Suicide Prevention Day. This is an opportunity for everyone in the community—the public, researchers, clinicians, policy makers, and those with lived experience of suicide attempts or loss—to join together to promote understanding about suicide.
- If you or someone you know is in crisis and/or distress and in of an immediate response, there is a list of crisis supports on PHC's Staff Mental Health & Wellness toolkit: http://staffmentalhealth.providencehealthcare.org/get-me-help-now
- If you or someone you know is interested in seeking help related to their mental health, the toolkit also has a list of resources that can potentially support this journey: http://staffmentalhealth.providencehealthcare.org/staff/when-seek-help
Join the conversation
- VCH is hosting a "Beyond Stigma" event on September 10 -- an evening dedicated to shedding light on suicide and loss to spark change. Get the details
Many thanks to Michelle and Ange for writing on this important topic, and to Care Connection for sharing this article with PHC News.
ALSO IN THIS ISSUE
- Carrying On Our Tradition of Helping Our Neighbors of the Downtown Eastside
- News from the CEO
- Celebrating Our Legacy
- Ethics Case of the Month returns with "Just sign here: When patients leave against medical advice (AMA)
- ‘It’s tough for heart failure patients to go home’: TEC4Home improves patient care, expands clinical trials
- Our mission: To boldly go where no hospital has gone before
- September 13 is World Sepsis Day
- Not sure what SafeNet is or why you keep hearing about it?
- Overdose Outreach Team expands
- Leading MD asks: Why shouldn’t we just stay on paper?
- St. Paul’s Healthy Heart team leading workplace wellness day on September 26
- Researchers find way to date ‘hibernating’ HIV strains
- Join us for the next Talks + Tables event!
- New Regional Parenteral Drug Therapy Manual (PDTM)
- OPTIMA study compares two treatment options for prescription opioid use disorder
- Thank you for your feedback! And the last winner is.....